Government

Horton Plaza Improvement Project

Third and Fourth Avenues and Broadway and E Streets, San Diego, California
Owner
The City of San Diego
Contractor
Echo Pacific Construction, Inc.
Architect
Carrier Johnson + CULTURE
Renovation of the existing Horton Plaza expanded the space south to the north side of the Horton Theatre and included planters, fountains, water features, site 'furniture', canopies and other shade-type structures.

Originally purchased and developed by Alonzo E. Horton in 1867, the new Horton Plaza was intended to return the park to its historical grassy state.

The project also included site retaining walls, refurbishment of the historical Electrical Fountain, the addition of three new permanent kiosks within the Plaza, and small site structures such as public restrooms, storage, operations and mechanical equipment.